Monday, June 16, 2014

Post Surgery Three Months and Getting Better



Dear Pastors, Churches, Family and Friends.

A few weeks after surgery
It has now been about three months since my open heart surgery and I continue to improve day by day. I am still limited physically in what I can do and cannot return to the bread delivery job I had before my failing heart caused me to quit. Though the company could not hold my job they are willing to put me back on whenever there might be an opening. The question is when I will be able to work. The cardiologist said it may be up to 6 months before my sternum is completely healed.

I have been released to travel and so began once again to teach and preach as the Lord opens doors. We (actually LeeOra) began driving down to Camp Verde and Lighthouse Baptist on Sunday nights to finish my Revelation Bible Study. Bro. Don Randall has been very supportive and his little church has prayed and helped us with gifts of meals and expenses. The first few weeks required some leaning on the pulpit to complete the lessons but overall I was able to teach and preach and for that I was very grateful.

We finally received approval that we would be covered under Arizona’s healthcare system and that the coverage would be effective retroactively to Feb 1st. This would cover our bills before our ACA coverage began in March. So far the bills that we can total are over $400,000 but we really can’t be sure how much the total is. It is almost impossible to even keep track of how many providers we owe. The ACA insurance is already saying they will not pay for most of the operations since they were not pre-approved. It was difficult to think of getting pre-approval when you are in the ER and being told you have to have this operation within 3 days or face another near death scenario. Hopefully, the emergency nature of the operations will mean something to the insurance companies but based on previous experience I am not very hopeful.

Again we are very grateful for the churches and individuals who have given extra love offerings during this time. It has been enough to sustain us and is a constant reminder of God using his churches and people to take care of His missionaries.

The next few months will be needed for a fully physical recovery and several more visits to the
cardiologists. The doctors would like to operate again in August on my “torturous aortic arch” this is the main artery coming out of the heart leading to the lungs and rest of the body. The same genetic condition that caused my heart valve problems created a twisted, constricted and elongated arch. The doctors are concerned that some of the constrictions and swellings may result in aneurisms that could one day rupture with no warning. The fix is to do a bypass and then stent the arch to return it to a normal size and shape. I will be back at the cardiologist office in late July to discuss it with both surgeons and a decision will be made at that time. I of course am praying that I will not have to return once again to the hospital for more surgery even though this one would not be open heart. 17 days in the hospital is enough to last me for several years. If it should turn out that surgery is necessary then I will go under the knife sometime in August. Thankfully the recovery will be much quicker than the 4 to 6 months for open heart surgery.

In the meantime I will be concentrating on full recovery. Please continue in your prayers and especially for LeeOra as much has fallen on her shoulders during this time. Without her I literally would not be here and can really say that God gave me a wife that is a true helpmate, with strong emphasis on the help in this case.   

In His name and service,

Kris and Leeora Minefee

1 comment:

Calvary Baptist Church - Burkburnett, Texas said...

Bro. Kris and LeeOra;
Alice and I are praying for you both. Glad that you are continuing to improve in your recovery. We will continue to pray for your other health problems and the finances. I am truly glad that we have a Heavenly Father Who has all riches at His disposal to sustain His children's needs. Alice and I are learning that lesson ourselves as we have look to God's we live by faith as we move to Burkburnett, Texas. May God bless you both and know that you are loved. Jeff Davison