Thursday, February 13, 2014

Changes and Setbacks



Dear Pastors, Churches, Family and Friends,

It is amazing and a little frightening how quickly things can change. As Christians we are always warning the world that we only have today but sometimes we forget that the same is just as true for us. As of our last letter we were settling in for the winter and looking forward to finding a meeting place to rent in Flagstaff for our church services. LeeOra and I both had part time jobs that were more than making up the slack in our personal finances and allowing us to begin to plan for a place to rent as a meeting place. Now as of February both of us are no longer employed and my health has forced a suspension of most plans.
               LeeOra’s job was with a small retail shop that has changed ownership and the new owners intend to only employ family members so she is now out. In my case my heart has begun causing problems again. After almost three years of the best health I have had since my 20’s I came down sick in December and throughout January. In February the sickness was gone but I was having problems breathing when climbing stairs or when my body was under physical stress. By the middle of February this had progressed to the point that I was no longer able to do my job delivering bread at the local bakery without risking a blackout or car accident. I turned in my resignation and apologies and with deep regret began planning for a lot more rest and finding medical help.
               After consulting with my Pastor Larry Jones I was able to find some inexpensive insurance and will be eligible for coverage after March 1st. In the meantime I am taking it very easy so LeeOra doesn’t worry. I have no pain, blackouts or fainting. I do have an irregular heartbeat with many skips, jumps and flutters. My blood pressure is up and then down while my pulse has steadily gone up. We are hoping and praying that once I get to see a cardiologist it will be a simply matter of adjusting my medication, which until this year has been very effective in controlling my heartbeat. In the meantime I am being very careful and prayerfully asking the Lord for strength and direction.
               I continue to write and do Bible Studies online and once my heart is more stable will restart our Sunday night Bible series at Lighthouse Baptist Church in Camp Verde. I feel I could do the studies with no risk but since it is over 60 miles from Flagstaff and the hospital here I thought it would be best to postpone the series until I could be sure of the future.
               Please continue to pray for us, especially LeeOra as the anxiety about my heart is hard on her. We have been reassured by many of our supporting churches and pastors as well as our home church that in case of an emergency our needs would be met and we take great consolation in this. It is our plan to rest and only go to the ER if pain or fainting occurs. After March we hope to have good news that I am under a qualified cardiologist’s care. 
               This February 14th LeeOra and I will celebrate our 37th wedding anniversary. The Lord has blessed abundantly throughout these years. We have seen our 4 children grow and go out into the world to serve the Lord and raise their own families. We now have 4 grandchildren and have the great joy of know they are all being brought up in Christian homes under the love and direction their godly parents. The vast majority of our years together have been in service to the Lord and we are humbled to think we have been so privileged to serve Him. It is our prayer that we can look forward to many more years of service and seek the open doors of ministry that only He can open.
               Thank you all for your support and prayers. We are continually humbled by God’s working through you on our behalf.
              

No comments: